The Family Man

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Mother of All Workouts...Days 1 & 2

Introduction

My first introduction to P90X came a few days ago when I went to a class with my sister-in-law Mindie. The class was the first time I had exercised in about 4 months. The video we did in the class was Cardio X, just one of the workouts in the P90X library. From what I've heard its the easiest one, but it sure kicked my butt. What I loved about this particular workout was that it was completely different then any other workout video I had ever done. The best part was that I didn't find myself getting bored or every thinking about how much time was left in the workout. There were times when I wanted to sit down, but I kept on pushing and had a great time. Mindie gave me the whole P90X workout series yesterday and I got started!

Day 1

The first workout was a killer Chest and Back workout. The whole workout was a bunch of different variations of pushups and pullups. Its tough to do pullups at 304 lbs, but the awesome thing about the video is that it provides variations for every single pullup exercise if you are unable to do it. I used resistance bands, with door attachment and did every exercise with as strict form as I could. As far a pushups go...those were ugly. After the first set of standard pushups, I had to do the rest of them on my knees. I was disappointed, especially since I used to be able to crank out pushups like nobody's business. The second part of the workout was Ab Ripper X...which I failed at miserably. I just didn't have the strength in my core to do any of the exercises. Again, it was a disappointment but I am starting at square one. Needless to say, I still got a great workout and was totally exhausted afterwards.

Day 2

I woke up this morning extremely sore in my upper back and triceps. As the day wore on, I started feeling it more in the wide parts of my chest and armpits. Lucky for me, today's workout was Plyo X...THE MOTHER OF ALL P90X workouts!!! This one was a bunch of combinations of moves that completely blew my mind. Plyometrics is a way of "jump training" that is common for most athletes. Having been a trainer and coach for a few years, I was able to learn a lot about plyometrics, but this was like nothing I have ever seen before. The workout had, by my estimation, 20-25 different moves. For an hour workout, to do 2 sets of 20 different exercises is unheard of. This workout left me feeling particularly light-headed afterwards. Really made me realize how far I have to go. I haven't been this wiped out since.....EVER! Looking forward to Day 3 and whole new set of challenges.

1 comment:

  1. SOOOOOOO excited to read about your daily workouts!!! I hope that you feel encouraged every day to keep at it! I KNOW you are going to have AMAAZING results!!!! I feel privilaged to be a part of your cheer squad! Keep it up brother.

    ReplyDelete