The Family Man

Monday, May 16, 2011

Holy D.O.M.S

That's an acronym for delayed onset muscle soreness, and let me tell you...I am feeling it today! Woke up this morning at 6:15 am to get my day started with a workout. As i drop my leg over the side of the bed and go to push myself up, my left arm goes limp and i fall back down. LOL. I eventually made it out of bed, but I would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see how i did it. My chest and upper back were absolutely screaming at me...maybe even crying. All those pushups I did a few days ago really caught up with me today.

Workout was another tough one. Shoulders and Arms today, gotta get those big guns!! Despite my soreness, I was able to complete the whole workout and man was it tough. Again I found myself having to modify a few of the exercises, and check my ego at the door and drop weight when i needed to. I think the biggest thing for me right now is that I finish, which I have done with every workout so far. I don't really care how much weight I am lifting, I'm just shooting for as many reps as I can get with good form and full range of motion. I am feeling very encouraged at this point. It seems like immediately after I finish a workout, I can't wait to get started on the next one!

Trying to make some better choices in my diet too. I know all this hard work will be a great start, but I have to make the effort to improve the food that I'm putting into my body also. The main thing for me is the portion control. I have been known to eat my entire dinner, and then finish off whatever Brittani and Olivia haven't eaten from their plates. Pretty embarassing...But I have made some positive changes. Here are just a few ways I have changed things up...and you can too!

1. Lots of FRESH FRUIT!! Olivia eats it all the time, so we just buy a little more and eat it right along with her. We picked up some AMAZING strawberries at the farmer's market this weekend!
2. Normally lunch would be a sandwich on some type of big hoagie roll. Gone are the rolls (well at least from the pantry), and I've replaced them with plain old tortillas. A little romaine, grilled chicken, cheese, and some ranch dressing makes a great wrap. My recent discovery is that crispy onion string (like french's) add a great crunch and lots of yummy flavor to salads and wraps. I know its not perfect, since they are fried, but its not like I pile them up and devour a whole bag at once.
3. We made the switch to diet soda. Now I know soda in general is bad for you, but this is a huge step for me. I love Dr. Pepper and on a regular day I would drink 3-4 of them while sitting at my desk at work. The diet stuff is good, but its not the same. I am drinking maybe 2 of them a day. No sugar, no calories...much better than my previous bad habit. I also am drinking a lot more water.

I know the diet stuff isn't perfect, but its a start. If I'm being completely honest, I never want to have to give up the foods I love the most, so I'm probably never going to. I figure these little changes are going to help me get started down the right path and we'll see where I end up!

No comments:

Post a Comment