The Family Man

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Legs and Back: What a "Soup"er workout!

Cheesy title??? Maybe, but I'm trying to stay creative! Its not easy coming up with clever titles to my daily blogs. This one in particular I has me very excited. I KILLED it this morning during my legs and back workout! As I said before, legs are definately one of the strong points on my body (good genes) and today they definately showed up to party! Now lets all be totally honest...NOBODY LOOKS FORWARD TO LEG DAY. I mean nobody. If you say you love working legs, you are a big, fat liar. The thing about working legs is that a GREAT leg workout can totally ruin your entire day, AND YOU'RE HAPPY ABOUT IT! I know that after over 100 lunges on each leg, combined with single leg wall sits (couldn't do those last week =), and I don't know how many different types of squats, my legs were wrecked for the whole day. I was beat! My legs were wobbly as I walked up the stairs and I almost fell flat on my face trying to get into the shower. Don't ask me how I made it, but I survived the day and feel great about it! The best part...I almost didn't make it out of bed this morning. I'm so glad I did, cus I feel a huge sense of accomplishment knowing I got out of my own head and KEPT PUSHING PLAY!

Now for the best part of today's blog. Here is the recipe for the minestrone soup I made 2 nights ago for dinner. Its packed full of goodness! Tons of veggies (fully customizable of course), virtually fat free, and is absolutely delicious. While we're on the subject of food, thanks to everyone for the snack suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying some of your favorites, and maybe even posting a few of my own in the future. Here's the soup recipe, if you make it, let me know how you like it!







Minestrone Soup


8 cups low sodium V-8
1 yellow onion (chopped)
4 yukon gold or red potatoes (diced in 1 inch pieces)
2 carrots (diced)
4 stalks of celery (diced)
1 green bell pepper (diced)
1 cup fresh green beans (chopped to bite size pieces)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 can (16 oz.) fire roasted tomatoes
1 can (16 oz.) whole kernel corn
1 can(you get the idea) dark red kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
8 oz. whole wheat pasta (i used rotini)
1 handful chopped italian parsley
1 handful chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Prep: Heat oil in large stock pot. When oil is hot, add garlic, onions, carrots, bell pepper, celery, and green beans and salt and pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes, then add potatoes (with more salt and pepper). Continue saute for another 3-4 minutes. Add V-8, cover and bring to a low boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes, then add remaining canned ingredients, along with a little more salt and pepper. Cook the pasta in a separate pot until pasta is "al dente" (or slightly firm still). Add pasta to pot and continue simmer for another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Right before serving, stir in fresh herbs and ENJOY!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment