The Family Man

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Push Ups or Earth Downs?

Today began my final phase of the P90X workout challenge. I started on May 14th, day 1 began with Chest/Back and I barely made it through the first workout. I wasn't even able to complete most of the pushups without dropping to my knees. I totaled 102 pushups, but well over 50% of those were from my knees, and I still struggled so much. My next week, i was determined not to spend any time on my knees, and when I couldn't push anymore, I simply stopped. In that second week, I was able to complete 74 REAL pushups.

I once heard that Chuck Norris doesn't do pushups, he does EARTH DOWNS! Chuck Norris has nothing on me after my workout today! Today, 7 weeks after that second workout, I started week 9 of my journey. That very same Chest/Back workout yielded 121 REAL pushups. The feeling that I have right now is unbelievable. Coming off the rough stretch that I have had these few weeks, and being able to perform (yes I consider it performing) at a high level, and see that much improvement in my workouts only makes me want to push harder through these next few weeks. For some people, the results of their hard work show up in the mirror, but since I have always considered myself an athlete, and a very competitive person, I am more motivated by seeing the increase in the numbers of reps or weight I am able to move.

Now my arms and shoulders are shot...barely able to move. Plans to grill a pork loin on the BBQ tonight, and enjoy my night at home with my girls. Hopefully we will soon be joined by our son Owen, who is set to make is arrival any day now. We sure do wish he would come already!

No comments:

Post a Comment